Meal Prep Menu:
4 Breakfast -1 cup plain fat free Greek Yogurt + 1/4 cup Granola + Small Banana
4 Meals: 1/2 cup Quinoa + 3/4 cup peas and Carrots + 1 Boiled egg
4 Meals: Salad Jars with Edamame + 1/2 Small Avocado + Triscuit crackers
4 Meals: 2 Baked tenders with carrot sticks
- All meals served with apple or orange
Total Meal Prep time: 1 hour
1 Orange pepper
1 bag baby carrots
1 Bundle of spinach or 9 oz bag of spinach
1 head of lettuce or 9 oz bag of lettuce
1.5 pound boneless skinless chicken breast tenders or chicken breast cut into tenders
3/4 cup Whole wheat bread crumbs
1 cup Bear Naked Cacao and Cashew butter granola
3/4 cup Quinoa
1.5 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
32 oz Greek plain yogurt
2 cups Edamame (steamer bag)
3 cups Peas and Carrots blend
Salt free all purpose seasoning or Penzey Mural of flavor seasoning
1. Prepare baked chicken tenders. Recipe link http://www.greensandgrainsnutrition.com/greens-and-grains-blog/2017/7/6/baked-chicken-tenders. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray. In a bowl cracker and scramble the 2 eggs. In another bowl combine 3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp salt free seasoning, and 1 tsp salt and pepper. Gently mix. Take the chicken tenders and dip in the egg first then breadcrumb mixture and place on baking sheet. Repeat process until all tenders are complete. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
2. While tenders are baking place 8 eggs in a large pot. Cover with water and place on stove. Bring to a boil, once boiling cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes. While the eggs are cooking cook the quinoa. Add 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth and 3/4 cup quinoa to a small pot. Bring to a boil, cover and turn off heat. Allow to stand covered for 10 minutes.
3. While the quinoa and eggs are finishing steam the edamame in the microwave according to package instructions (typically 3-4 minutes) then empty into a bowl to cool. Chop the tomato, cucumbers, and orange pepper. Drain the hot water from the eggs and add cool water or ice to the eggs.
4. After standing for 10 minutes remove cover from quinoa and allow to cool. After cooking for 30 minutes, remove chicken tenders from oven and allow to cool. Peel the eggs.
6 Assemble salad jars with 2 tbsp. dressing first (optional you may also add when ready to eat), cucumbers, tomato, and orange pepper first. Next layer edamame and 1 chopped egg. Generously fill with lettuce and spinach.
7. Assemble remaining meals: 1/2 cup Quinoa + 3/4 cup peas and carrots + 1 sliced boiled egg - 4 meals. Then 2 baked chicken tenders + 10 carrot sticks. Pre-portion 1 cup yogurt servings.
*Tips and Variations*
- May swap proteins in the salad per preference- other great options include black beans, tuna, chicken tenders, or lean beef. The black beans would go well in the jar method, however other options are best added to the salad at time of consumption
- If you don't have travel salad containers or large jars to fill don't worry. It works just as well to store in a glass or plastic container.
- As with many meal preps vegetable and fruit swaps are welcome per preference or convenience.
- You may add salad dressing with carrot sticks if preferred.