Meal prep doesn't have to be complicated or all from scratch. This weeks meal prep is one that I call the pantry sweep. It utilizes pantry essentials and frozen vegetables and proteins for a quick meal prepare without a grocery store trip. As always many of the items in the meal prep are interchangeable and when it comes to meal prep here are a few of my favorite pantry essentials to keep around for those weekends you don't have time for the grocery store.
Favorite Pantry and Freezer Essentials:
Freezer- Frozen vegetables, Frozen proteins (blackeye peas, edamame), steamer rice bags, frozen fruits
Fruits- unsweetened applesauce, mandarin orange slices, single serve fruit cups in 100% juice, dried fruits (raisins, cranberries, blueberries), or dehydrated fruits.
Grains- Brown rice, whole grain pasta, quinoa, orzo, oats
1/2 cup Turmeric rice + 1 cup broccoli + 1/2 cup blackeye peas + unsweetened applesauce
Salad greens + pink salmon or albacore tune + grapes
8 oz plain Greek yogurt + 2 tbsp. bleuberries + 1 tsp ground flaxseed + 2 tsp honey (optional)
12 oz frozen bag blackeye peas
4 cups of frozen broccoli
1 cup brown rice or white rice
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 bag salad greens
4 salmon or tuna packets or cans
4 unsweetened applesauce cups
2 cups grapes
32 oz plain Greek yogurt
1 pint blueberries
4 tsp. ground flaxseed
Honey (optional for yogurt)
8 tbsp. Salad dressing of your choice
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp turmeric
salt and pepper
2 cooking pots
4 salad jars or salad storage containers
4 single serve meal containers, 4 snack containers
1. In a large pot add chicken stock, rice, and turmeric. Cook according to package instructions.
2. In the other cooking pot add frozen blackeye peas and cover with water. Add chopped onion and garlic. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes then reduce heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
3. While blackeye peas and rice are cooking portion salad in jars, rinse grapes, and defrosted broccoli. Season broccoli with 1 tbsp, olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper. Dispense grapes in single serve containers*.
4. After blackeye peas have cooked 30 minutes strain off liquid portion. Season lightly with pepper and add 1/2 cup servings to each container. Once rice is complete portion 1/2 cup servings with black eyed peas and finish with 1 cup of broccoli.
* To save time in the mornings you can also portion yogurt to single serve containers*