Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Total time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 1 cup Servings per recipe: 8
2 cups couscous
2 cups water, low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
10.5 oz box cherry tomatoes
1 large cucumber
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup feta cheese
½ cup olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1. In a 2 quart sauce pan bring broth to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat. Allow to stand covered ~ 5-6 minutes. Once finished cooking remove lid, fluff with a fork, and transfer couscous to a bowl to cool.
2. While couscous is cooking wash and chop the tomato, cucumbers, and basil. Place in a large bowl.
3. Prepare dressing by combining olive oil, juice of lemons, and minced garlic. Whisk to combine and set aside.
4. Once couscous is cool add to the large bowl of chopped tomato, basil, and cucumber then top with dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Top with feta cheese and lightly mix to combine.
6. Store in the refrigerator and serve cold.
- Feel free to modify this recipe to your preference. Other great additions or replacements include chopped red onion, olives, roasted corn, or artichokes.
- For an extra boost of protein top this salad with canned low sodium tuna, chickpeas, grilled chicken or lean beef, salmon, fish, or grilled shrimp.
Nutrition per serving: ~315 calories, 16 g fat, 37 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.